Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Potpourri


What is potpourri?

The dictionary says
pot·pour·ri
n. pl. pot·pour·ris
A combination of incongruous things: “In the minds of many, the real and imagined causes for Russia's defeats quickly mingled into a potpourri of terrible fears” (W. Bruce Lincoln).
A miscellaneous anthology or collection: a potpourri of short stories and humorous verse.
A mixture of dried flower petals and spices used to scent the air.

This painting which is 36"x36" is titled "Potpourri". It started as a digital collage on canvas of a potpourri collection of dead flowers that I have in a bowl. After the inital layers of painting I was not happy with the overall design. So the creative, spontaneous part of me quickly started adding white, black, light yellow, light pink drips of paint across the entire canvas --- then smearing some of it as it dried to create this overall effect. I like the vitality the painting now has, the mystery behind the paint, and that in combining digital and painting I am closer to bringing my two art worlds together. This is the start of a potpourri series of paintings that will combine both the digital world and the world of paint that I use to express myself as an artist.
Copyright 2005 William H. Miller All Rights Reserved

No comments: