Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Armchair Artist


Today worked with Jim to install the art at the Circle Theatre Art Gallery. It was very, very hot today 100+ degrees. Amazingly the time it took to hang was much faster this time becuase we had the nails in place. I enjoy working and showing with Jim. We are very much on th same level.

Today I visited a friend, he told me a story of a friend of his who is an artist, who upon seeing my work said "this isn't art, he did not paint this, he did it on the computer, anyone can do that...".

Being a digital artist is a hard thing to be in the world. Today, I created this picture entitled "Armchair Artist". You have fellow artists or critics who believe that it is somehow "not art", or not as good as painting or drawing. Digital art is something that confuses many people. They think the computer does all the work. That could not be farther from my truth. First, I need to come up with the idea for the image or thought that I want to communicate. Being constantly bombarded by images in the media, trying to work through the clutter to have an image standout and make your point can be difficult. Then I need to search my archives for the right picture to work with or go and take the picture(s) I need. Then it is the knowledge of not just one computer program, but several to work through layers, filters, colors, painting, and layout - to reach that image that you feel as an artist - communicates what you want it to. I enjoy trying to push myself - the computer allows me to push the edges, that if I was painting I might not take the chance to ruin an image for the sake of my art. Digital allows me to do that. So I call this piece "Armchair Artist" -- a homage to those who are critical of digital art -- call them Armchair Critics, Backseat Drivers, or Couch Quarterbacks -- until they try it themselves they may never understand the digital way.

Copyright 2005 William H. Miller All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

B said...

yes and anyone could paint an entire canvas one solid shade of blue but only Ellseworth Kelly can call it art. The rest of us have to call it copying. It's not that anyone can do it; it's that you're the one that does it. That guy needs a smack upside the head.