Friday, March 03, 2006

Progression of Humanity


I spent some precious hours with my artist friend, Jim Frederick getting him out of his studio where he has been working non-stop on his upcoming show. The theme that he is working is called humanity. The works are in a state of constant change, I am excited that I get to see them in this state of change and flux.

During the day we had lunch at the Pitt Grill and visited some galleries in Bishop Arts District. Then back to work at our respective homes. Then I picked him up and we when to some of the several art openings - Barry Whistler's Gallery, Road Agent, Uptown Vision, Goss, Peters Gallery and more. One thing that stood out to me was the energy of the different groups of people at each show. Some where vibrant with people actively involved in the art and the artist's message and process, while others were active we being there and being seen - the scene was more about them then the art which they were their to see. So that made me think -- what is an art opening? Is it really about the art and the artist? or is it also about the people who come to the opening? The synergy of audience and art/artist make an opening an event. I know that I want to walk into a gallery and make a connection with the art and the artist. And I usually walk away with the impression that I got by being apart of that --- but the variable is the people or the humanity that is there when I am there --- they influence how I view the art, the things I over hear about the art, they make me feel comfortable or crowded, they stand in the way of me seeing the art, or if the gallery is clear - so is my mind only with my connection with what I think the art/artist is trying to communicate. I remember walking into one gallery last night, open becuase it was gallery night, an assistance behind a desk in front of a computer yelled to us as we walked in the door - "You only have 20 minutes we are closing" - well I knew that it was getting close to the time the Uptown Art Walk closes, but I instantly felt unwanted -- that translated to me feeling the work in the gallery and the gallery was cold, pretentious, certainly not worth the tens of thousands the work in it cost. Galleries and artists should be welcoming and open to the humanity that has come to part take in the experience with in it's walls. Certainly not the feeling that I got when I went to Scott Frelick's show at Uptown Vision, or the show at the Goss Gallery. They were very open and welcoming. The Barry Whistler and Road Agents shows were busting with activity - it was great people watching, lots of artwork sold, interesting processes.

I will be picking up a brush and doing some painting tomorrow, not digital painting - downright getting my hands and brushes dirty painting.

The picture today I took while we were walking in deep ellum --- the progressive shadows of Jim on the wall reminded me of the humanity series pod people that Jim has been painting. I like the fading quality of the shadows, and how they are walking towards the light. It is funny how when you become connected to this series, you begin to experience and see them yourself - in shadows, in art, on tv, smashed bugs on the windshield, in your tea leaves....

Here is to becoming part of the art of humanity.

Copyright 2006 William H Miller All Rights Reserved

No comments: